The Portfolio Committee on Regional Regulatory Cooperation (PC-RRC) is primarily responsible for executing objective No. 4 of RERA on “Consumer Protection and Communication Services”. The mandate of this Portfolio Committee is to:
“Deliberate and make recommendations to members on issues that fall outside national jurisdiction, and to exercise such powers as may be conferred on RERA through the SADC Energy Protocol.”
The mandate of the PC-RRC also entails enhancing cooperation, coordination and dialogue with the SADC Member States and other regional and international organisations.
Main Initiatives in 2021:
Planned for implementation in 2021 include the following initiatives:
- Develop, adopt and/or adapt a common set of regulatory principles that would characterise the missions, powers, competences and organization of energy regulatory authorities in the SADC Region;
- Assist Member States in the process of creating energy regulatory authorities and/or implementing legal and regulatory reforms;
- Conduct periodical regional assessments of the current status of regulatory frameworks and institutions, their competencies, resources and expertise Mediterranean region;
- Develop and review frameworks and instruments to promote/enhance cooperation, coordination and dialogue with the SADC Member States and other regional and international organisations;
- Support other RERA structures in the process of improving national legal and regulatory frameworks of the Member States to facilitate the deepening of regional cooperation and energy trade; and
- Participate in relevant activities of the International Confederation of Energy Regulators (ICER), or any other body to which RERA is a Member.